Soldiers in Ford GPA amphibious vehicle
View of soldiers in a Ford GPA amphibious vehicle. Label on back: "Power-driven capstan of the 'free-wheeling' type, shown in the above picture, plus block and tackle and a sling for attaching to tree or post, enable the new Ford-build amphibian to climb steep, ice-covered shore banks or pull itself out of mire or mud. The picture shows the capstan, developed in the Ford engineering laboratories, in action with block and tackle attached to a sling on the tree -- drawing the amphibian out of a 'tough' spot. From Ford News Bureau, John W. Thompson, Director. Administration Building, Dearborn, Michigan." Handwritten on back: "Amphibious vehicles."
- Resource ID:
- Ford GPA (Amphibious military vehicle)
- Motor vehicles, Amphibious
- Ford Motor Company
- Automotive Council for War Production--Archives
- Photographic prints
- 1 photographic print ; 8 x 10 in.
- National Automotive History Collection
- MS84/Automotive Council for War Production, Amphibious vehicles--Tanks, trucks, Ducks, tractors, cars, etc., 85:14
- Physical rights are retained by DPL. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.