Detroit Tigers catcher Johnny Bassler, throwing. Typed on back: "Johnny Bassler, first string catcher, Detroit Tigers. Johnny Bassler, considered by a number of sharp critics to be the best catcher in the American League. His ability to out-guess opponents on the hit and run and squeeze plays is uncanny at times and besides having splendid judgment and being an excellent receiver also from the physicial [sic] standpoint, Bassler is the best hitting catcher in his league, among the regular backstops. Pitchers say he is the hardest man in the league to pitch past."
- Resource ID:
- Bassler, Johnny (John Landis), 1895-1979
- Catchers (Baseball)--Michigan--Detroit
- Detroit Tigers (Baseball team)
- Photographic prints
- 1 photographic print ; 10 x 8 in.
- Ernie Harwell Sports Collection
- Photographs-Biography-Bassler, Johnny
- Physical rights are retained by DPL. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.