Demolition of buildings on Griswold
Buildings being demolished by Union Housewrecking Co., viewed diagonally across intersection. Blurring on building and man passing on sidewalk. Signs on corner building for Standard Savings and Loan Association. Typed on label on photograph back: "This photo, taken April 21, 1927, shows the process of demolition of the buildings on the east side of Griswold street between Larned and Congress streets to clear the ground for the erection of the new Union Trust Building. On the corner, at the right, is the building erected on leased ground by Sidney D. Miller and others for the Detroit Savings Bank in 1878. Site formerly occupied, at the corner by old 'Cobweb Hall' and on the north half of this lot (103 of Section 2), was the log house of Bridget Belcher, built about 1807 and afterward replaced by another building. Next lot to the left (102) was the site of the Butler Building--under demolition. On lot 101 next north was the Lewis Building where Sheriff Knapp of Wayne County lived in the 1830s. At the Congress street corner, the Telegraph Block still standing [stands?] on lots owned first by Augustin Longon and Robert Smart and later by Mrs. Mary Deveaux, then Eurotas P. Hastings, the Bank of Michigan, and Wayne County. The first county building was erected at the corner."
- Resource ID:
- Commercial buildings--Michigan--Detroit
- Photographic prints
- 1 photographic print ; image 8 x 10 in.
- Burton Historical Collection
- Physical rights are retained by DPL. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.