Washington Avenue Church
Small white-paneled building; plain windows with blinds. Front yard of church in foreground with scattered trees; door beside building leads to backyard. Handwritten on back: "The old Washington Ave. Church on the west side of Washington Blvd, south of Grand River Ave. Father and Uncle Thomas Linn bought this building from the Scotch Presbyterian Church and paid for its removal from the eastern side of Woodward Ave. to its site on Washington Blvd. This was before 1870 or about that time. Here were held Grandmother Linn's funeral (1877), my father's funeral (Sept. 12, 1883), and my sister Jeanie's funeral (Sept. 21, 1874), and from this church we moved to the new church at the corner of Second Blvd. and Ledyard St. John used to decorate this interior most beautifully for Christmas festivals. C.E. Campbell."
- Resource ID:
- Church buildings--Michigan--Detroit
- Photographic prints
- 1 photographic print mounted on mat board ; image 7.5 x 9.25 in.
- Burton Historical Collection
- D/Churches-Christian-Washington Avenue
- Physical rights are retained by DPL. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.