Small, low-built wooden-frame house, shuttered windows and small doorway. Backyard in foreground, half of which is growing a leafy vegetable. Handwritten on back: "In the late 18th and early 19th centuries this house was a favorite stopping place for Indians who beached their canoes along the riverbank and encamped in the orchards of apple and pear trees. Apparently the original part of the structure terminated at the chimenys shown in the center of the building as pictures. It is not certain whether it was erected in the 1730s or 1760s. It is known that in the 1760s it was owned by Claude Charles Moran, the founder of the Moran family in Detroit. The house fell into decay and disuse and was finally razed in 1886. It was located on what is now Woodbridge Street between St. Antoine and Hastings; the old Moran house, built about 1734 stood on what is now Woodbridge Street between St. Antoine and Hastings." Lower right hand corner of photo is torn away.
- Resource ID:
- Wooden-frame houses--Michigan--Detroit
- Architecture, Domestic--Michigan--Detroit
- Albumen prints
- Photographic prints
- 1 photographic print mounted on mat board ; image 4.5 x 7.5 in.
- Burton Historical Collection
- D/Historic houses-Moran
- Physical rights are retained by DPL. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.